Friday, September 25, 2009

Mom tips

While talking to numerous friends I have who are either becoming parents, are parents, or children are on the list of things "to do," I realized that I have massive amounts of vital Mom information. I'm not sure if I am going to make it a weekly thing on here to write about my newest discovery, or write about various tips, but I definitely think I should be writing something to help my fellow mothers. I would love it if people would help chip in with thier ideas too since, after all, that's what mom's are good at, sharing tips and ideas.
So, for today, I think I'm going to give my two cents about grocery shopping with a kid. I have no idea how to shop with two, since I haven't gotten their yet, but, this will at least give you some ideas.
First off, before even heading out the door, you need to pack snacks. If your child is still a baby, bring a bottle. If they're old enough to handle finger foods, pack a ziplock, or a tupperware, with their favorite things. Tori loves Kix, Whole Grain Cherrios, and Whole Grain Goldfish (I'm sure you can see my scheme already. If she doesn't know the other type exists, she won't be able to argue with me about getting the white bread, or the more unhealthy choice), so that is my go-to mix whether it's a mid-day snack at home, or when we're out and about.
Also, make sure to keep some toys in your purse and rotate them out often so it's not always the same toy. If they see a "new" toy, it will keep them entertained longer than one they see all the time.
Now, you're ready to head to the store! When you get there, give them a job. Tori likes to hold my list, and an item we pick up that makes some sort of noise, like the plastic bag holding the apples. Yes, it's OKAY if they touch it. Just watch them! I mean, for peats sake, they are sitting right in front of you. If they bring it close to their face, you know that your kid isn't ready, and give them something else, like the bag of rice, or something equally "exciting." Things that they can feel the texture of is of course better, since it helps them with their learning.
One last tip. I like to play games with Tori while we're shopping. Yes, I'm sure people think I need to be institutionalized sometimes, but, it's keeping my kid entertained, so, who cares?? Peek-a-boo in the beginning, and then once they get that concept, hide behind the fruit stand, or just around the corner of an isle. Or, when you pick up something large, like diapers or toilet paper, use that to try to "hide" behind. They'll think it's hilarious. Also, I like to push the cart a little bit ahead of me (make sure you don't have the cart that veers to the right or left as soon as you let go when you do this) and then in my best acting job, I try to catch up. Use all your skills, large arm movements, breathing heavy, etc. They're pretty easy to fool. Anyway, every time I do this, Victoria thinks it's HILARIOUS.
So, anyway, hopefully your shopping trips are better! Also, when they get old enough to reach things, park in the middle of the isle. Yeah, you'll be "that person" but, whatever. You're saving the employees hours of work. Also, be firm when they whine about not getting what they want. If you look like you're in charge of your child, you won't look like a bad parent. And truth is, anyone who has ever babysat, or had children themselves understand what you're going through. If worse comes to worse, leave the store. You can go back later on once you have someone to watch your kid, or when they calm down.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment