Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Joys of Parenting

Today has just been one of those days where Victoria will just look at me, run the opposite direction and do exactly the opposite of what I ask. Usually she's not so openly defiant, especially after a time out or two, but today has been the exception.

Like most people, I had to get out of my pajama's and into appropriate attire for public. While quickly tugging on some jeans and throwing on a thermal, I realized my daughter was no longer in the room. I run out pulling my hoodie over my head and find her in the bathroom (which was closed, her new trick is opening doors I guess) eating toothpaste. Yes, the adult toothpaste with flouride that should not be swallowed. needless to say I freaked out, made her spit out as much as she can (which was close to none), and took it away, all in a matter of seconds. I don't think I've ever been so frantic.

Later on, I was checking my email while Victoria was innocently playing with the dog and coloring. I know what you're thinking, but, to my surprise as well, the dog was not any new colors. Instead, I discovered Tori had reached the playdo and had somehow managed to smash a good tablespoon of it into her hair. Of course, she was all dressed, and we had to leave the house within the next 5-10 minutes. So, once again, I am frantically running about trying to find a very fine tooth comb and her detangling spray so I can attempt to comb out the mess.

Once we got back home from our mid-morning adventures, I attempted to put her down for a nap. Of course, she didn't want one, so, I let her run around and play while I made lunch for the two of us. I come out of the kitchen to find she has found a bowl full of candies and was trying to open each and every once of them. Luckily, none were opened, but she was not happy when I took them away. This resulted in a time out.

The remainder of the day resulted in a lot of whining and a couple more time outs. Then this evening while making some ravioli's, my mother called the hospital where my Grandma Carol is "vacationing". After being transfered around to numerous non-English speaking people, the head nurse told my mom that my Grandma was in emergency surgery. Once the OR realized my grandmother was not in the OR, we were transfered back up to her floor and my mom had to speak with a supervisor. Meanwhile I'm listening to my mom's side of the conversation and watching her facial expressions trying not to freak out because I can hear my mom saying things like "What? She's being operated on?!?" when last we heard my grandmother was recovering and even eating very small meals. Once the mess was cleared up that my grandma was actually fine and on the phone.

Needless to say, I am very ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment