Monday, February 8, 2010

My "relaxing" weekend

Hello world, I'm alive. And luckily so is everyone else. I have had the most hectic week possible. Thursday my mom went to her doctor’s appointment and told him that she had been having chest pain, nausea, jaw pain, lack of appetite, and exhaustion. Big surprise, he was alarmed and told her to head straight to the ER. So, I get a call after picking up my brother at 3 that she needs me to drive her to the hospital. LUCKILY, her boyfriend had told me she wasn't feeling well the day before, so it wasn't as big of a shock, but still disconcerting. So, I dropped Tori off with a good friend, and headed to the ER. All the tests came back normal, and we were sent home some 5-6 hours later (got to love the ER).


Then, on Friday, my mom and I ran errands together (I was keeping a close eye on her) as well as went to get a stress test done (also, came back totally normal and healthy). We got all the shopping done for my baby shower which was on Saturday, and even drove over the hill (AKA Hwy 17) to visit with some family and have dinner with them later that night.

Saturday rolls around, and everything is going smoothly until about 1PM (right when the shower starts) when we get a phone call from my aunt and uncle. My grandma rolled her car on HWY 17 (for those of you unfamiliar with it, Google it, it's a hairy drive) while driving to my shower. So, my entire baby shower was my mom and I trying to find out as much information as possible and debating on whether to kick everyone out early and drive over to San Jose or to just wait. We found out that the ER only allows 1 person in at a time, so there was no use in us driving over that night since we wouldn't be able to see her much anyway. So, we went to bed worrying about her and hoping everything would be okay.

Sunday morning comes and we all roll out of bed and get ready to head to the hospital. I was ready earlier than everyone else, and ended up leaving before since I had to drop Tori off at my aunt and uncle's house anyway. When I got to the hospital my mom was already there which makes me wonder how fast she was driving, and if my grandma rolling her car wasn't enough of a lesson. I look at my grandma, and she looks a lot better than I expected. I mean, she was in a lot of pain, but she had color to her face, and besides a lot of bruising and abrasions on her forearms, and a bruise from the seatbelt across her stomach, she was in pretty good condition, all things considered. It was still hard seeing her in so much pain, especially when I knew she was on morphine already. But, I'm just glad she's okay and will survive this.

Moral of the story, never try to come into town and have a relaxing visit with family. We've decided that since I'm pregnant and getting more attention, my mom had to draw the attention to her by faking a heart attack (the tests didn't show anything), and then when my mom had all the attention on her, my grandma had to one-up her to make sure she had all the attention. Basically, the women in my family are attention hogs, and will go to extreme lengths to achieve it. Luckily, I'm okay with just being pregnant, so, don't worry, I will not be jumping off any bridges, or playing in traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment