Monday, January 4, 2010

Husbandless and surviving

Today is day 1 of John's 120 (ish) day deployment. Surprisingly, being a psychotic emotional pregnant woman, I held it together really well when we went to drop him off at the airport. I had one of my closest friends and her husband come along with us since when John comes back, they will be stationed in Alaska. I also didn't know how my emotional state was going to be, so I wanted one of them to drive my car back with me so I didn't put myself, Tori and the belly bump in danger. So, we all made it back safe, and I was even laughing along the way.

I spoke with John once he made it to California (he's staying at Travis AFB for a day or so to leave with one of their flights to Afghanistan) which could be the reason I'm doing so well, but I just like to consider it a nice transistion to him leaving. Having him safe and inside the country for a few days before he makes his trip to Bagram is fine with me. Unfortunately, I don't think it counts as the beginning of the 120 day deployment since he's technically still enroute to Afghanistan. I think once he inprocesses there, the count officially begins. Although, it's just an estimation. For all I know, his replacement won't be able to make it out to relieve him, and he'll have to spend an extra month while they find a new one. The military isn't nearly as organized as they should be considering how often men and women have deployed to the Middle East as of the last 10 years.

But, overall, I feel like since I've been through a couple TDY's (short stays at other bases to help fill in for people), one to Jordan and Saudi Arabia, and another to Texas, that this one won't be so bad. It is longer, but he isn't in anymore danger than I am driving out to California. Which is a huge relief (for me, not for him. He's quite worried about my trip this next month). I don't think I could have married a man who was a Marine or in the Army. They are the guys on the front line securing the base and other places.

I also had forgotten how large a queen bed was. Last night I fell asleep on my side of the bed, curled up with my pregnancy pillow (think full body pillow, but shaped to help relieve aches and pains of us preggers folk) and woke up this morning sleeping diagonally. It was amazing. I slept quite well. I'm sure in like a week of sleeping alone the novelty of having the entire bed to myself will have worn off and I will miss having him next to me, but for now, with my expanding mid-section, I am enjoying the extra room.

So, for now, I am holding it together really well, and Tori doesn't seem to have noticed him being gone. I'm assuming that will happen these next couple days.

And on a side note, for those of you who like to watch the news, I would like you to know I DO NOT under any circumstance want you calling or emailing me news stories about what is going on in the middle east. I have enough to stress out about without having to worry about what could have happened. I will be in touch with John pretty much every day via email and chat systems, and will keep you all updated. But, as far as where he is, he is extremely safe behind a desk in a massive military base. I don't need to hear about car bombs and whatever else is going on in his general vicinity. Thanks for your consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment