Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Potato and Broccoli Soup

After snowing most of the day on Sunday, and then again yesterday, I decided I was going to make some yummy soup for dinner. I was sick of our usual soup recipes, and started googling new recipes using the ingredients I had on hand (even though I had to go out to the store anyway).
I came up with potato and broccoli soup. Usually, you eat a very small portion of this soup and feel like you just ingested the most terrible things for you because it is SO thick and creamy. I went for a different approach and went with a chicken broth base with a touch of milk to still have it hit that creamy note we all love.



Potato and Broccoli Soup
Serves 4-6

   Prep Time: 10 minutes
+Cook Time: 20 minutes
   Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
1 Tablespoon butter or olive oil
2 small yellow onions - chopped
3 cloves of garlic - minced or grated
3-4 small potatoes - cubed
2 cans great white northern beans (or similar buttery white bean)
1 large head of broccoli - rough chopped
1 can condensed milk
3 chicken bullion cubes in 4 cups water (or 4 cups chicken stock)
salt and pepper to taste
Optional Toppings:
Garlic Croutons
Sharp Cheddar Cheese - shredded
Crusty French Bread
Cubed & Cooked Chicken
Steamed broccoli
Bacon
... You get the picture!


Steps to get to deliciousness:


  1. Melt butter in a large stock pot on medium high. Sauté onion and garlic until onion is soft and clear, about 3-5 minutes. Add in your stock, milk, potatoes, broccoli, and beans. Simmer until potatoes and broccoli are cooked, about 10 minutes depending on how large of chunks you chopped them into. 
  2. Now, I pureed the entire soup, but if you want some larger pieces in your soup, you could just puree half. Be VERY carful not to over load your food processor since you will end up with a giant mess if you do. I think I pureed my soup in 4 different groups, but do as many as you need because, like I said, it will turn into a giant mess. 
  3. Put it all back into your original pot to keep it warm. Taste test, and add your salt and pepper.
  4. Place croutons, shredded cheese, chicken, bread and whatever else you'd like to serve with this on plates. Ladle the soup into bowls, and serve!
My family really enjoyed this. It's definitely going into our soup rotation this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment