Sunday, August 9, 2009

Army Wives

As some of you may know, there is a show on Lifetime called Army Wives that airs on Sunday nights. While I happen to love this show, and watch it every week (thanks to my DVR), some things about it are just so inaccrate it makes me want to scream.

First off, since I am an Air Force wife, I know all about how military life really is. Like for example, if you are enlisted, like John and myself, you DO NOT associate with the officers. The only relationship you are permitted to have, is one on a business level. Take Victoria's pediatrician. He is a Major, or an O-4, and he seems like a really great guy. But, the only relationship we are allowed to have is as Victoria's doctor. We saw him at the Commisary once (for those of you who have no idea what that is, it's basically the on-base grocery store), and weren't even sure if we were allowed to wave at him. Luckily, he acknowleged us, so we were allowed to do so back.


Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is, one of the wives on the show is an enlisted wife. Yet, every week she's hanging out with a 2 star general's wife. Officers wives are stuck up, and would NEVER hang out with an enlisteds spouse. They only associate themselves with other officer's wives, who most likely all attend the officer's wives club meetings. Which, by the way, if I even tried to step foot in that meeting I would be kicked out faster than you could say hello. No joke.

Luckily, for us, even though we're trying to become a commisioned officer, since we were previous enlisted, it's acceptable for us to talk with our enlisted friends. But, to ensure that we don't continue to hang out with them, they will move us to a different base, so all our contact will be either off base, or over the phone/internet.

Another thing that just drives me crazy about the show is the age of the 2 star general. He is about 40. In order to be a 2 star general, it means he's been in for a LOOOOOONG time. I believe it takes at least 25 years. Which means you've passed every test on schedule, you don't miss any cut-off dates due to when you signed up, and you haven't done anything wrong. Which means, most people don't get their degree finished until they are at least 22, so, if you were to enlist at 22, add another 25 years, you are nearing 50 years old. Now, my question is, why can't the writers/casting agents do this simple math?

I guess the show just wasn't written for people who were military, or who had the brain power to figure this all out. Don't get me wrong, love the show, I just wish it was a little better researched. Everything else is pretty accurate. Deployments, uniforms, PT (physical training), base housing, gate guards, etc. And they also seem to have at least one snobby officer's wife. Although, from the looks of the show, since they've made her into the bad guy, she will most likely be leaving before season 2 ends. Bummer. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad i'm not the only one that wants to punch the writers of the show in the face! I love the show, but c'mon man! It doesn't take a genius to do simple research on the show to make it more accurate. The thing that just makes me crack up every episode is Roxy's relationships with the other officer wives, that would never ever happen!

    ReplyDelete