Saturday, August 8, 2009

Sourdough bread, take 2

It looks delicious, but... I still have another 20-30 minutes of waiting before I am allowed to slice it open. It is still technically cooking on the inside. And at this point, being hungry, isn't enough to ruin my entire day's work.
Yes, that's right. The picture you're looking at too me ALL day. I woke up, took my starter out of the fridge and "fed" it the flour it needed (yeast needs breakfast too you know). Then, I waited another 2-3 hours for it to wake up, while I was waking up over a cup of coffee. Once that was over, I was able to take a cup out I needed to make my bread, and replenish my starter with 1/2 cup of flour and warm water. Then started the process of kneading. Luckily, my bread machine has a dough cycle, so I let him do all the work while I made pancakes. I then needed to knead the bread a little myself, and let it rise for 2-3 hours. Luckily, even though sourdough takes much longer to rise than normal bread, I was able to stick it in a warm oven (you still need to be able to put your hand on the inside of the door, otherwise it's too hot) so it wouldn't take 4-5 hours. Then, yep, you guessed it! More kneading! I had to feed the dough one last time with flour, knead it into the desired shape and let it double in size. Preheat the oven to 400, slice the top with my awesomely sharp knife, and BAM! 25 minutes later, this baby pops out of the oven.
I must say, if this doesn't turn out, I will probably give up on bread making. At least sourdough. I'll return the responsibility over to my bread machine. Although, I'm sure he's been enjoying the break the last couple days.
More to come on how this actually tastes...

IT TURNED OUT PERFECT!! Honestly, I just danced after eating a slice. So wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment